Food Production is a department which is involved in preparation of food. A process, in which raw materials are cooked, combined and transformed to make a dish. The scope of Food Production has been widening at a faster pace in India as well as Abroad.
Education plays a critical role in this profession. A diploma is essential, but a degree course is better. Because with a BSc in hospitality course you can bypass the Commie stages and join as kitchen management trainee (KMT) and start cooking, thus saving three or four years of the grind. Food Production graduates are absorbed as KMTs and trainfor almost two years before becoming Chef de Partie, the stage after Commie 1.
You can undergo B.Sc in Hotel Management from Heritage Institute Of Hotel & Tourism, Shimla
A Chef does more than cooking and has to handle many responsibilities. Being a Chef requires great experience and a flair for cooking. A Chef is responsible for overseeing subordinates and the work they do. Chef is responsible for menu planning and menu engineering; and special dishes to be added from time to time. He/she is also responsible for creating recipes, indenting and costing. A Chef supervises the purchasing, preparation of food, organization of kitchen, equipment required in the kitchen, recruitment of staff, maintaining the cleanliness and inspecting the quality of raw materials to be used in cooking; at the same time be aware of safety standards.
The food Production department of a hotel is among one of the major departments of the hotel. The role of the Food Production or Kitchen department is to prepare food for the guest. The guests who are staying in the hotel rooms and also for those who are walk-in guests and comes to the restaurants to enjoy meals. The Hotel Food production and sub-departments of the hotel kitchen is headed by Executive Chef.
- Front Office Department Introduction – Operations and Key Functions
- The skills required for Hospitality Management
Here are the Sub departments of Food Production
- Main Kitchen: This is the large kitchen area where food is prepared for different restaurants or F&B service outlets. The food here is prepared for Coffee Shop, Room Service, & Snacks for Bar. The main kitchen has further sub-sections such as Indian Kitchen, Continental Kitchen, South Indian Section, Tandoor.
- Pantry: Most of the orders from the pantry section, such as tea/coffee, sandwiches, salads, raitas, etc. are serviced. The pantry operates 24*7*365 days.
- Bakery & Confectionery: All bakery items like cakes, pastries, chocolates, Muffins are made in this section.
- Butchery: It is a section where all the raw meat supplies such as chicken, mutton, fish, prawns, lobsters, etc are received and cleaned, properly wrapped for further storage.
- Banquet Kitchen: Bulk cooking for function happens at this section.
- Chefs area: Executive chef sits here and a lot of planning takes place inside this area.
- Garde Manager: It is also known as salad house our Factory outlet for salad preparation in bulk. Here cold salads are prepared for Banquet parties and coffee shop buffet.
- Commissary: It is a place or section where we store all the green vegetables in bulk.
- Walkins: Depending upon the size of the hotel there is a minimum of 2/3 walk-in refrigerators. One is kept especially at -18 to store meat.
Make your career in the production department by taking admission in Shimla best hotel management College – Heritage Institute Of Hotel & Tourism.
About the Author:
Heritage Institute of Hotel & Tourism
Agra & Shimla