A hospitality degree trains students in hospitality and tourism management. Depending on their career goals, prospective hospitality professionals can enroll in an undergraduate or graduate hospitality program. Heritage Institute of Hotel & Tourism provides undergraduate degree in hospitality.
BHM is an undergraduate course which spans for a duration of three years. However, some colleges offer it as a four-year degree program. As part of a BHM course, candidates are taught about different facets of the hospitality industry. Thus, in a BHM course aspirants are taught food and beverage preparation, housekeeping operations, front office operations, computer applications, business communication, accommodation operation, corporate finance, sales, marketing, public relations etc. BHM course is known to have theory as well as practical subjects.
BHM Eligibility Criteria
Students can pursue BHM course right after their Class 12. For most colleges the eligibility criteria to pursue a BHM course is that the candidate should have cleared his 10+2 from a recognized board. However, other colleges have specific requirement that candidates need to fulfill in order to pursue a BHM course which include that aspirants should have secured at least 50 per cent aggregate marks in their Class 12 exams or should have studied English at their Class 12 level and secured passing marks in the subject.
BHM Admission Process
The admission process for BHM is completed either through merit-basis or through an entrance examination. For merit-based admission, the candidate’s 10+2 aggregate score is considered. The details of both methods of admissions along with a step by step guide to go through each method have been described below.
Merit-Based Admission: For merit-based admissions to BHM courses, colleges release cut-off lists. Anyone who is able to meet the cut off criteria can apply for admissions.
Entrance Exam Based Admission: Entrance examination based admissions are done in most colleges.
SUBJECTS IN BHM
- Introduction to Hospitality & Tourism Industry
- Food Production
- Business Communication
- Food & Beverage Service
- Accommodation Management
- Food Science & Nutrition Global Food Trends
- Human Resources Management
- Hospitality Facility Planning
- Indian Heritage & Culture
- Environment Sustainability
- Foreign Language (any one)
- Front Office Operations
- Accommodation Operation
- Hospitality Accounting
- Hospitality Information Systems
- Corporate Finance
- Food Safety Management Systems
- Travel & Tourism
- Business Law and Ethics
- Entrepreneurship Development
- Hospitality Marketing
Apart from the above mentioned theory subjects, candidates who pursue BHM course, also need to attempt and clear practical papers in subjects such as Food Production, Front Office, Food & Beverage Service and House Keeping.
As part of BHM course candidates need to mandatory undergo industrial training of 20-22 weeks.
Why Should You Study BHM
The reasons to pursue a BHM course will depend on the individual’s goals and aims. Some of the general reasons why a Bachelor of Hospitality Management should be pursued are as follows.
- Unlimited Career Choices: BHM graduates are able to be hired in various different types of job areas from hotels, cruise ships, resorts etc. One can also get hired in the event management sector, travel and tourism sector too. There is no limit to the job opportunities available to an individual with a BHM degree.
- Travel Opportunities: Hospitality management offers attractive travel opportunities for work. If one is lucky, employment opportunities can be explored in and gained a satisfactory pay grade. This helps expand the mind and outlook of the individual and resume too.
- High Pay: The hospitality industry is a high demand industry that takes a lot of time and effort. Work hours are long but rewarding at the same time in terms of pay. The final salary package will depend on the individual’s skills and experience.
- Essential Customer Care Skills: BHM graduates learn many different essential skills like customer care, teamwork, leadership and organizational skills. A lot of soft and hard skills are taught to individuals to survive in the industry. Learning the right skills will in having flexibility and ability to make a difference in the organization.
Take Online Admission in HIHT and accelerate your career in hospitality with job assistance.
All the best to all aspirants!
About the Author:
Heritage Institute of Hotel & Tourism
Agra & Shimla