Housekeeping is an operational department in a hotel, which is responsible for cleanliness, maintenance, aesthetic upkeep of rooms, public area, back area and surroundings. A hotel survives on the sale of room, food, beverages and other minor services such as the laundry, health club spa and so on. It is rightly said that housekeeping is a 24 x 7 x 365 operation. Be a hospitality graduate from Heritage Institute Of Hotel & Tourism and make your Career in Hospitality Management.
Housekeeping plays a very important role in hospitality industry such as:
- To achieve the maximum possible efficiency in ensuring the care and comfort of guests and in the smooth running of the department.
- To establish a welcoming atmosphere and ensure courteous, reliable service from all staff of the department.
- To ensure a high standards of cleanliness and general upkeep in all areas for which the department is responsible.
- To provide linen in rooms, restaurants, banquet hall, conference venues, health clubs, and so on, as well as maintains an inventory for the same.
- To provide uniforms for all the staff and maintain adequate inventories for the same.
- To cater to the laundering requirements of the hotel linen, staff uniforms and guest clothing.
- To Provide and maintain the floral decorations and maintain the landscaped areas of the hotel.
- To coordinate renovation and refurnishing of the property as and when, in consultation with the management and with interior designers.
- To deal with lost and found articles.
- To ensure training, control and supervision of all staff attached to the department.
- To establish a good working relationship with other department.
- To ensure that safety and security regulations are made known to all staff of the department.
Job Description of a Housekeeping attendant
As a Housekeeping Attendant you are responsible for daily assigned duties as instructed by Supervisors while adhering to hotel policies and procedures and your role will include key responsibilities such as:
- Receive work assignment, keys and supplies from the supervisor and sign the key log book accurately
- Clean rooms and bathrooms, performing any combination of the following duties
- Keep fire exits and stair ways clear of any obstruction
- Check and report any maintenance work required immediately
- Pick up any litter from corridors and pathways
- Vacuum carpet and upholstered furniture, dust and wipe furniture, empty ashtrays and wastebaskets
- Make bed, wash sink, bathtub, toilet, tiles, mirrors and floor and polish brass and metal
- Replenish bathroom supplies and room supplies
- Tidy and arrange neatly guest toilet articles on vanity top and spot cleans carpet when necessary
- Clean and keep the guest corridors, service pantries and service areas neat and tidy at all times
- Remove Room Service tray and trolley from guestroom and corridors
- Inform valet service to collect guest’s clothes for laundry, dry cleaning or pressing services
Skills required to be a Housekeeping Professional Education, Qualifications & Experiences
You should be hotel management graduate. You should ideally have a vocational training within the Housekeeping Department of a hotel. Good command of English is an advantage.
Knowledge & Competencies
The ideal candidate will be a friendly, caring, dedicated individual with good cross cultural sensitivity and the willingness to put in an extra effort and time when required, as well as the passion to serve customers. You will work well under pressure in a fast paced environment and enjoy working with a multi-cultural team and guests alike, while possessing following additional competencies:
- Understanding the Job
- Taking Responsibility
- Recognizing Differences
- Customer Focus
- Customer Focus
Heritage Institute of Hotel & Tourism Agra / Shimla will guide you in all manners to be a hospitality graduate.
About the Author:
Heritage Institute of hotel & Tourism
Agra & Shimla