Heritage Institute of Hotel & Tourism offers the hospitality industry such an extensive variety of career options from entry-level food service to hosting or managing a large resort. To be really successful, you’ll need to demonstrate a number of qualities that customers and employers expect. In addition to the hard skills needed for a particular job, there are personality traits or “soft skills” that can make or break your success.
Here is a list of qualities employers are looking for:
1. Commitment: To be successful in the hospitality industry, you must be committed to ensuring customer satisfaction. You must do whatever it takes to keep customers happy and create an environment where customers want to come back.
2. Communication Skills: Communicate is an important key factor in building a customer base for the business in the hospitality industry. This is done by undergoing training on how to communicate better. The training programs involves conducting group discussions, development programs on interpersonal skills, organizing various seminars and presentations. All these programs enable the employees to learn how to speak better or how to improve their posture when talking with customers..
3. Good Dressing and Inner Beauty: Dressing plays a major role in building up ones’ personality, and so it does in the hospitality industry. The hospitality industry teaches the employees to always dress in neat and smart way as this gives the business a good impression in the minds of the customer. Employees who are attractive in appearance and dressing also exude confidence as they relate with those that patronize them. This trait of confidence is also good for the business because when they are confident about themselves, they’ll confidently deal with their customers as well.
4. A Positive Attitude: To make your guests feel at ease and comfortable in your establishment, you must maintain a positive attitude at all times. Not only will this make it easier to do your job, but it will also help you deal with the stresses that come with the job. A positive attitude is one of the top qualities of a great hospitality employee because it helps you inculcate various other top traits for succeeding in this industry.
5. Enthusiasm: Great employees of the hospitality industry are enthusiastic about their jobs and strive to do the best work possible. They want to give their customers the best experience available. Without the customers you do not have a job.
6. Leadership: Great hospitality employees have strong leadership skills and are able to command project and make significant contributions to an organization’s overall success.
7. Organized: To stay on top of the multitude of tasks you’ll face as a hospitality employee, you have to be organized and multitask without difficulty.
8. Knowledgeable of Safety / Hygiene issues: Successful hospitality employees are familiar with rules of work safety and food / personal hygiene as they apply to venues serving food.
9. Teamwork: Successful employees of the hospitality industry work well with others, you need to be a productive team member.
10. Listening Skills: Being a hospitality employee requires you to be a good listener. By pinning your ears back to your guests, you will get a better understanding of what they want to convey. It becomes more vital when they speak in a different language, as you have to know non-verbal communication too.
“HIHT works to improve all above qualities to our students, so they can be a future leader of the Hospitality Industry”
About the Author:
Heritage Institute of Hotel & Tourism
Agra & Shimla